WordPress is widely used CMS now-a-days. More than 70% websites are built in WordPress. There’s a darkside of these awesome software. As it is an open source software, so it is tested by whitehat blackhat and what not to point out its vulnerabilities. There are many ways your site can be hacked. You may face XSS , SQL injection or malware attack. To prevent these odds there are few god blessed plugins. They are used for hardening your sites security. Here I am going to introduce you some security plugins and will tell you which one will be best for you.
Introducing Best WordPress security Plugins
iThemes Security Pro takes the guesswork out of WordPress security. You shouldn’t have to be a security pro to use a security plugin, so iThemes Security Pro makes it easy to secure & protect your WordPress site.
- Brute Force Protection
- File Change Detection
- 404 Detection
- Strong Password Enforcement
- Lock Out Bad Users
- Away Mode
- Hide Login & Admin
- Database Backups
- Email Notifications
- Change WordPress Salts & Keys
- Online File Comparisons
- Google reCAPTCHA Integration
- Ticketed support is also available to all pro users.
iThemes security plugins comes up with both free and paid version. I personally use it.
A Web Application Firewall, Malware Scanner, and many other tools make Wordfence the most complete security option available.
Taking a slightly different approach than iThemes Security, Wordfence specializes in the following tasks:
- Scanning for file changes
- Blocking IP addresses
- Two-factor authentication
- Country blocking and country redirects
- Custom alerts
As you can see, Wordfence does a lot to improve the chances of keeping your site secure. It offers some different functionality than the other plugins covered in this post and there is less risk of problems compared to some of the other plugins.
It has been download 400000+ times and counting. This plugins is the top most free security plugins in WordPress directory.
- The ability to disable the WP Meta information
- Monitoring user accounts for obvious vulnerabilities
- Brute Force login attack prevention that’s more extensive than the Limit Login Attempts Plugin
- A setting that requires you to manually approve new user registrations
- Database prefix management
- Protection of specific files including the ability to edit PHP files from within the dashboard
- Blacklisting users based upon their IP address or a range of IP addresses
- Basic firewall protection
- Changing the login page URL, cookie based logins as well as Captchas and whitelists
- Comment spam prevention
- File change detection
- Disable copying of text and the use of your site in an iFrame
Sucuri is best malware scanning plugins in wordpress. It has been installed 200,000+ times.
- Removing the WordPress version information
- Protecting the uploads directory from browsing and PHP execution
- Restricting access to wp-content and wp-includes
- Verifying your security keys
- Restricting access to the file editor from with the WordPress dashboard.
It comes up with free but it has premium features. See their website to learn more.
Bulletproof Security is one of the top security plugins in wordpress repository. It has been downloaded 100000+ times.
The list of features included with BulletProof security is too long to list but include:
- An easy one-click setup
- htaccess protection against XSS, RFI, CSRF, Base64, SQL injection and other hacking attempts
- Login security and monitoring including max login attempts and lockout time
- Database backups
- Database prefix changes
- File monitoring and quarantine of uploaded files
- Email alerts for a variety of user actions
- Many more
You may get confused and wondering about which plugins should be best for your site. To be honest , I ‘ve used all of them. Nothing difference and you still can be hacked unless you are not always updated. Generelly I use iThemes security and Sucuri . You can use both or one of them. No matter.